This challenge is organised by:
In Partnership With:
Image 1a: Total Volume (Metric Tonne) of Waste Collected under SMG until December 2020
Between 2016 and December 2020, 67,962 metric tonnes of solid and organic waste have been removed from the Klang River. Cleaning was intensified in 2018 when the SMG project was introduced with the placement of seven (7) log booms along the river to trap waste.
In October 2019, the river cleaning solution was further enhanced with the deployment of the world’s first hybrid INTERCEPTOR that catches floating debris , in a partnership with Dutch NGO The Ocean Cleanup.
Although we are seeing a reduction of the amount of waste extracted (Image 1a) from the Klang River, the problem still persists.
The fact remains that Malaysians have been dumping waste directly into rivers and indirectly into drains that lead to rivers for decades, and while governments work on solving the issue of illegal dumping and river pollution through heightened enforcement and public education, we still need to tackle river waste and find a solution to repurpose the waste, in the immediate to long term future.
Currently, the waste extracted from the Klang River is sent to landfills and the Selangor government is committed to reducing the volume of waste ending up in landfills by incorporating a sustainable circular economy into the SMG river waste management solution.
Turning Waste Into Resource
In line with the government's green technology and waste recovery agenda, let us focus on river waste as a resource in the creation of a circular economy
Resource recovery from waste, refers to selective extraction of disposed materials for next use and/or to extract the maximum benefits from products which will help reduce or delay the consumption of natural resources and reduce the amount of waste generated.
Currently, valuable materials from the river waste sent to landfill are yet to be recovered. There is an opportunity to create economic value for these materials while reducing environmental impact. Innovation and green technology adoption must be the key driver to steer waste management towards greater resource efficiency.
While we continue to examine several available options to repurpose this waste, we also hope to find the answer to this pressing problem by partnering with youth, our visionary social entrepreneurs for a better tomorrow, to push the boundaries of innovation by demonstrating the possibilities of resource recovery from the waste collected, to create a new usable product.
We are looking for new waste-to-product technologies that can transform Selangor’s river waste into value streams thus creating a circular economy of what we currently register as trash.
This challenge is organised in partnership with Malaysian Global Innovation & Creative Centre (MaGIC). Upon completion of the challenge, eligible participants will be provided exclusive access to MaGIC’s 1st ever Social Impact Challenge Accelerator (SICA) programme.
SICA is an open call to impact-driven business enterprises to submit commercially driven solutions in addressing selected problem statements. Selected winners from this challenge will earn exclusive invite to an impact-focused accelerator and stand to obtain direct post accelerator support which will allow your solution to be adopted or scaled at a faster pace. For more information, please visit https://www.mymagic.my/sica
Your technology will help repurpose most of the waste collected from the river or even by the local municipalities. This means less waste ending up in landfills. Through our partnership with MaGIC, Landasan Lumayan wants to ensure that the chosen technology is embedded into the Selangor state’s waste management solution and does not end up merely as a concept.
The Selangor State Government is making great strides in the area of sustainability and with your solution, you will have the opportunity and access to work with various state agencies via Landasan Lumayan to make a real difference to the environment and the future of our planet.
Eligible teams will have access to the SMG Sg Kandis log boom waste collection site in Shah Alam, Selangor
Participants in East Malaysia can retrieve up to 100kg of waste at any legally registered collection site (preferably river waste) but full declaration of location and details of types of waste being used must be disclosed.
Each team can request up to 100kg of organic and/or solid waste materials for the development of the solution.
Award for Winners
Selected winners from the challenge will gain access to R&D cash pool worth up to RM50,000 to help you refine your technology
Receive exclusive invite to participate in an impact-focused accelerator
for 3 months of capacity building, network and funding opportunities under MaGIC’s
Post Accelerator Support
Upon completion of accelerator under SICA, the technology and “products” that best demonstrate the solution to the challenge, with the strongest business potential may be offered:
grant of up to RM100,000*
- Collaboration with Landasan Lumayan Sdn Bhd or its appointed partner(s) for further development of your concept.
- Mentorship programmes at any one (or more) of the organisations under Menteri Besar Incorporated (MBI) Selangor or other suitable organisations.
- Market opportunities together with Landasan Lumayan in Selangor and beyond.
How to enter?
- Participants eligible to enter this challenge must be a locally registered start-up with at least 12 to 18 months track record – either financial or commercial.
- You already have a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) or market-tested/proven prototype ready to be launched with some customisation / refinement relevant to the identified Challenge Statement.
- Your solution has the potential to scale its current impact.
- A team with a minimum of 3 members including at least 1 founder and 2 other instrumental roles.
- The company MUST be registered in Malaysia.
- Each participating team is only allowed to submit ONE concept / deliverables.
- The official language for the Challenge is English only.
- Participation in this Challenge is free.
By participating in the Challenge, the Participant would have read these T&Cs, and fully accepted their terms in their entirety without reservation.
Any Participant who does not abide by the terms of the T&Cs at any time during the Challenge will be automatically disqualified from the Challenge.
Scalable and adaptable to existing production standards and capable of creating an end product that can be used in Malaysia with a wider potential market.
Represents a significant advancement in the way river waste is repurposed and upcycle. It should be both environmentally friendly and should not add further to the problem of sustainability. Your technology can be loosely based on an existing technology that must be declared at the assessment stage. Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification.
Present a business plan that clearly demonstrates value proposition; a pathway to scale and cost- effectiveness of technology. It should also clearly demonstrate the revenue stream – commercial viability and marketability – of the end product.
Additional considerations of interest include:
Your team shares SMG’s commitment to creating A Gateway To A Better Tomorrow and builds on its Mission & Vision. Especially of interest are technological solutions that use recycled materials in building the machine and an end product that demonstrates a viable circular economy.
Proposed end product should incorporate user and market feedback throughout the design process.
Whats not our interest:
The following types of approaches are not of interest to this Challenge:
- Approaches that are not compatible with environmental responsibility principles.
- Approaches that do not adhere to the highest possible product safety standards.
- End products that are purely of decorative or artistic value.
Important further details, a must read prior to submitting your application.
1. The SMG Innovation Challenge and these terms and conditions will be governed by Malaysian law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Malaysia.
2. The application for participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge is personal to each participant and is not transferable to any other party.
3. Upon submission of the application to participate in the SMG Innovation Challenge, the participant agrees to share and report to the Organiser the following items, but not limited to, upon request of the Organiser via an identified platform:
a) Sales generated
b) Network gained
c) Potential collaboration
d) New ideas / channels
e) Impact scale / growth ideas
f) Other benefits gained
g) Any other items deemed fit for the SMG Innovation Challenge
4. By participating in the Challenge, the Participant consents for the Organiser to process the Participant’s personal data provided in the entry form for the purposes of the Challenge including without limitation to use on various Social Media Platforms and the Website.
5. At times, the Organiser may retain third parties i.e. Agency to process the Participant’s personal details. All such third parties are contractually obliged not to use the Participant’s personal data in any way other than that which is specified herein.
6. If a Participant wishes to raise any data protection issue with the Organiser, or exercise any of his/her legal rights, please contact the Organiser at email@example.com
7. The Organiser takes reasonable precautions to keep the Participant’s personal data secure and requires third party data processors to do the same. Please note, however, that the Organiser may release the Participant’s personal data if required to do so by law, or by search warrant, subpoena or court order.
8. The Organiser reserves the right to accept, hold or reject the submission of the applications.
9. The Organiser reserves the right to modify, suspend or cancel the SMG Innovation Challenge and/or the validity of this application at any time without any prior notice to any party.
10. Funding and other opportunities offered after the SMG Innovation Challenge are not transferable. The Organiser reserves the right to substitute or vary the funding or opportunity offered without giving notice or justification.
11. The decision to offer funding or other opportunities is at the sole discretion of the jury panel. The Organiser’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the SMG Innovation Challenge will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
12. In the event the participant intends to discontinue its participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge, the participant shall notify the Organiser thereof in writing at least 5 working days in advance and the participant shall immediately cease any and all representation of participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge.
13. Each participant unconditionally gives consent to the Organiser to publish, use the names, logos, data, videos and/or photographs of the participants, participant’s organisation, including those of the products and/or services of the participant’s organisation, and the participant’s representatives as materials for the purposes of advertising and/or trade publicity, without any prior notice to the participants, and each participant waives any right to claim ownership and any forms of compensation from the Organiser, its directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents, contractors, licensors, related companies and agencies.
14. Participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge is accepted entirely at the risk of the participant, and the Organiser excludes and disclaims all liabilities, representations and warranties in connection with the participation. Each participant shall assume full liability and responsibility in case of any liability, mishap, injury, loss, damage, claim or accident (including death, personal injury, as well as loss or damage to real or personal property) resulting from their participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge. The Organiser, its directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents, contractors, licensors, related companies, agencies and sponsors shall not be responsible for any liability, mishap, loss, damage, claim or accident (including death, personal injury, as well as loss or damage to real or personal property) in any manner whatsoever.
15. Entry or participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge is at the own risk of the participant and health and safety is their own responsibility. For physical events requiring attendance of participants, please ensure that you and/or your representatives:
i. are in good health; and
ii. have not been diagnosed with or suspected to have been exposed to COVID-19
iii. have not visited or been in direct contact with someone who has visited any countries that are considered as high risk by the World Health Organization (“WHO”) for the spread of the COVID-19; and
iv. declare to the Organiser if anyone contravenes the terms ii) and iii) above as it is related to a public health and safety issue.
16. The Organiser makes no representations or warranties whatsoever with respect to the participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge and shall not be responsible or liable for any issues and/or damages thereto or arising therefrom.
17. By participating in the SMG Innovation Challenge , each participant agrees to indemnify, defend and hold the Organiser, its directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents, contractors, licensors, related companies, agencies and sponsors harmless with respect to any claims arising out of the participant’s breach of these Terms and Conditions, the participants’ participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge or any action taken by the Organiser as part of its investigation of a suspected violation of these Terms and Conditions or as a result of its finding or decision that a violation of these Terms and Conditions has occurred. The participant warrants and represents that it shall not take action or recover any damages from the Organiser, its directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents, contractors, licensors, related companies, agencies and sponsors as a result of the Organiser’s decision to remove or refuse to process any information or content, to warn the participant, to suspend or terminate the participant’s access to the SMG Innovation Challenge, or to take any other action during the investigation of a suspected violation or as a result of the Organiser’s conclusion that a violation of these Terms and Conditions has occurred. This waiver and indemnity provision applies to all violations described in or contemplated by these Terms and Conditions.
18. The Organiser reserves the right to modify the T&Cs at any time, without prior notification to any party. The Participant is invited to read the T&Cs, which are published on the Website, on a regular basis.
19. The Organiser retains all proprietary rights to the intellectual property of materials produced by the Organiser used in the SMG Innovation Challenge.
20. Please take note that all of the Organiser’s decisions are final, conclusive and binding, and each participant agrees to abide by the Organiser’s decisions.
21. The Organiser will disqualify the Participant if the Participant has offered or given or agreed to give to the Organiser or any person any gift or consideration of any kind as an inducement or reward for their participation in the Challenge.
Have a question about the SMG Innovation Challenge? Read on to find your answer. If our FAQ section does not answer your question, ask us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What is the SMG Innovation Challenge?
The SMG Innovation Challenge aims to discover innovative ideas for turning river waste into a resource to drive a circular economy.
The SMG Innovation Challenge is a part of the Malaysian Global Innovation and Creativity Centre (MaGIC)’s Social Impact Challenge Accelerator (SICA). Selected winners from the SMG Innovation Challenge will stand a chance to obtain cash prize for R&D purposes from a pool of RM50,000, mentorship sessions from SMG or its affiliates as well as exclusive invite to join an impact-focused accelerator programme with customised content to further refine and shape the impact model for growth opportunities. At the end of the accelerator programme, a Demo Day will be held where the participants will present their refined solutions in front of a panel of potential investors with the opportunity to secure up to RM100,000 in grant development and/or support from SMG. To find out more about SICA, please visit MaGIC SICA’s website.
2.Who is the Organiser of the SMG Innovation Challenge?
The SMG Innovation Challenge is organised by Landasan Lumayan Sdn Bhd, in partnership with MaGIC.
About Landasan Lumayan Sdn Bhd:
Landasan Lumayan Sdn Bhd is a wholly owned company by Menteri Besar Selangor (Incorporated) or MBI, mandated to spearhead the Selangor Maritime Gateway (SMG) urban rejuvenation project, which consists of the cleaning, rehabilitation and sustainable development of Sungai Klang and the areas around it.
The project, which is part of the Selangor State Government’s masterplan, will see the state government diversifying its income and maximising key locations in Selangor, leading into Kuala Lumpur, to drive a maritime economy and new development for the state. It is part of the state’s Smart Central Economic Region (Smart Selangor) master plan.
For more information, visit www.selangormaritimegateway.com
Since its inception in 2014, the Malaysian Global Innovation and Creativity Centre,
otherwise known as MaGIC has impacted more than 100,000 aspiring and seasoned entrepreneurs with an overall value creation of USD460mil. We empower technology start-ups and social innovators through creativity, innovation and technology adoption with aims to develop a vibrant and sustainable entrepreneurship ecosystem in Malaysia. As an agency under the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), MaGIC facilitates, navigates and enables the ecosystem with the mission of strengthening Malaysia’s position as an emerging innovation nation. For more information, visit www.mymagic.my.
3.What are the key elements required from the solutions?
The solution represents a significant advancement in the way river waste is repurposed and upcycled into a new product. It should be both environmentally friendly and should not add further to the problem of sustainability. The technology solution submitted can be loosely based on an existing technology, which must be declared at the assessment stage. Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification. This technology solution must be integrable into SMG’s existing river management solution.
The technology solution should be used to create a new product. This end product should be functional with a commercial value that is environmentally friendly and has an added value of being sustainable. The “product” should fill a function. End products that are purely decorative art will not be accepted. Scalable and adaptable to existing production standards and capable of creating an end product that can be used in Malaysia with a wider potential market.
4.How do I enter the SMG Innovation Challenge?
The SMG Innovation Challenge is accepting submissions between 19 May 2021 and 11.59pm Malaysian time (GMT+8), 23 June 2021. To apply, please complete this application form. Prior to accessing the form, you will be required to register with MaGIC. There is no cost to participate in the SMG Innovation Challenge.
Please review the Terms & Conditions before submitting your solution to the challenge. You will be required to declare that you have read and understood the document.
5.What is the information required for the application?
As part of your application, you are required to provide the following information about your organisation and the solution submitted for the SMG Innovation Challenge across the following areas:
- Organisation Details
- Representative Contact Details
- Description of Solution
- Problem-Solution Fit
- Social Impact
- Business Model and Traction to Date
- Financial Feasibility
- Team, Board and Advisors
As part of the application, you will also be asked to provide:
a) Company legal registration documentation
b) Latest audited financial statements of your organisation, or if not available, the latest management accounts will be required
c) Product development evidence to indicate where you are at in your Product Development Stage
d) Declaration of conflict of interest, if any, for close relatives or connected otherwise with individuals involved in the shortlisting, judging and organising of the SMG Innovation Challenge
e) A link to an uploaded video on YouTube. It will help us get to know your organisation, thus aiding in your application. In no more than 3 minutes, please tell us:
- About your team
- What motivated you to create your solution for the SMG Innovation Challenge
- How your solution will tackle the challenge theme
- Why you should win this competition
f) The video should be in English at a maximum length of 180 seconds. The person who will represent your organisation at future stages of the SMG Innovation Challenge should speak in the video. Please record horizontally/in landscape mode. You can record on a mobile phone. Feel free to present in a casual, YouTuber-style format. Please consider lighting and audio quality when recording.
Upon successful selection for the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day, you will be required to provide:
g) A detailed pitch deck, outlining your solution, business model, and financials (historic and projected), and credentials of the management team.
6. How will my application be shortlisted for the SMG Innovation Challenge?
Once submissions are closed, the Organiser, together with a panel of subject experts will evaluate all applications to shortlist entries who will advance to the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day. Submissions are selected based on:
- quality of the application;
- relevance of the innovation (product or services);
- track record on proof of concept; and
- feasibility of application to Malaysians
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by the Organiser and are required to accept the invitation to the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day within 3 working days. In the event they fail to do so, their spot will be given to the next best project.
All applications submitted must fit the challenge theme. Projects that do not meet requirements will be declined.
7. How will my pitch be evaluated during the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day?
Finalists invited to the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
a) Product Solution:
Scalable and adaptable to existing production standards and capable of creating an end product that can be used in Malaysia with a wider potential market
- Represents a significant advancement in the way river waste is repurposed and upcycled. It should be both environmentally friendly and should not add further to the problem of sustainability. Your technology can be loosely based on an existing technology that must be declared at the assessment stage. Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification.
c) Business Plan
- Present a business plan that clearly demonstrates value proposition; a pathway to scale and cost- effectiveness of technology. It should also clearly demonstrate the revenue stream – commercial viability and marketability – of the end product
- Your team shares SMG’s commitment to creating A Gateway To A Better Tomorrow and builds on its Mission & Vision. Especially of interest are technological solutions that use recycled materials in building the machine and an end product that demonstrates a viable circular economy.
e) Human-Centered Design
- Proposed end product should incorporate user and market feedback throughout the design process.
8. What can I expect during the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day?
The SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day will be held virtually via the Organiser’s platform of choice. It is a by-invite only event open to the shortlisted applicants, judges and partners. Shortlisted applicants will be notified of the platform of choice and be provided with the necessary details.
Should a physical event be held, the venue will adhere to COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure safe distancing. In this event, shortlisted applicants will pitch live in front of the judges.
9. What are my obligations as an applicant?
Upon submitting an application, an applicant agrees to commit to the following:
- A representative will be available to answer calls for clarification during the evaluation of applications by the Organiser, to select shortlisted applications for the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day.
- Upon selection and notification, applicants must be available to attend the SMG Innovation Challenge Pitch Day on a predetermined date.
- Accept all terms and conditions attached to participation in the SMG Innovation Challenge.
10. What are the key dates for the SMG Innovation Challenge?
|19 May 2021||Application Opens|
|28 May 2021||“Ask Me Anything (AMA)” Webinar #1
Click here to register
|18 June 2021||“Ask Me Anything (AMA)” Webinar #2
Click here to register
|23 June 2021||Application Closes|
|24 June 2021 –
6 July 2021
|Application review and clarification process. Shortlisted applicants will be notified.|
|19 July 2021 –
23 July 2021
|Pitch Day, exact date to be provided to shortlisted applicants closer to the date. Winners to be announced at a later date.
Applicants will be notified on the same date if they are not selected.
In the event of changes to any of the dates above, applicants will be notified
11. Any recourse to the Organiser of the SMG Innovation Challenge?
The Organiser holds the right to disqualify and revoke any submitted and/or approved applications, at any point of time, in the event that information and evidence are available to confirm the following:
- Willful misrepresentation of information during application;
- Involvement of fraud or money laundering activities; and/or
- Massive drift or significant changes from the intended objectives and outcome as represented during application.
12. Is my information confidential?
The information you provide on your application will only be available to the following parties:
- The Organiser of the SMG Innovation Challenge and its partners
- The panel of experts and judges invited exclusively for the SMG Innovation Challenge
Participants may post enquiries to:
• Email: email@example.com
• All questions must be in English.